Contact Me!

** Email me at: capsdegenerate@gmail.com ** Follow me on Twitter! @capsdegenerate **

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Back on the Saddle

It has been more than three months since my last post.  Seemingly life has gotten in the way of hockey (and that is UNACCEPTABLE).  My period of unemployment came to an end and I changed towns again - a recurring theme in my life since leaving DC in 2008.  However, this time - there is no planned move on the horizon.

While having income again is a good thing (namely, because income can be used to purchase the NHL Center Ice package) - it leads to non-hockey responsibility.  Getting to know a new town and a new corporation has been my focus.  It's amazing that some companies expect you to talk about their primary line of business all day instead of hockey.  The nerve!!!!!!

I have been able to watch Caps games, mind you.  I've seen them all this season (7-0 seems like a decade ago!).  However, when I've been watching them I've been doing so less critically than an aspiring blogger should.  By the time I would get around to watching the game - my brain was interested in shutting off.

To be sure, if you want to make a living in this business - you have to do your research and look at the stats.  You can't just say "Roman Hamrlik played like shit" (even though sometimes it is painfully obvious).  You have to look at his +/-.  You have to know +/- is a BS statistic.  You have to look at Corsi numbers and analyze the even-strength chances Hamrlik has given up per 60-minutes.  You should know his defensive pairings and which opponents he is matching up with.

Somewhere between my transition, a lack of confidence, not knowing what this blog's niche is, and the underrated beauty of just saying "Roman Hamrlik played like shit" without having to defend your position with stats - this blog fell off the map.

The truth is, I still don't know what this blog will be.  I'd love to make a habit of regular interviews.  I thought the Mike Fornes interview was an overwhelming success.  Even as of last week, someone has found it on the net and commented on it.

But, that's the problem.  It seems like that interview accomplished everything I wanted my blog to accomplish.  It seems like there is nowhere to go but down.

Speaking with Mike Fornes encapsulated everything that following the Caps as a kid meant to me.  Each subsequent post has seemed "a little off".

The truth is, I'm not Neil Greenberg.  I'm not going to be the guy who adds to the "Moneypuck" discussion.  And, I'm not anywhere near the superfan that JP over at Japers' Rink is (or anyone on that blog, for that matter).

But, something keeps me watching the Caps game in and game out - no matter where life takes me.  And something gets me back on the laptop every now and then.  I played when I was younger.  I even officiated for a bit.  There was also the idea that ran through my head, which was to be a hockey announcer.

I'd like to think I have something to add to the blogosphere.  I'm not yet sure what that is, though.  So, I keep plowing through the experimental stage of this blog - hoping it leads the blog to "the next level" (whatever that is!) - as opposed to having the blog fade into oblivion.

We will see.  I don't know if I'm in this to clear my head, to get readers, or to somehow have my opinion validated as a "quasi-expert" (maybe all three????).

It's kind of like the answer to our burning question of burning questions:  "Will the Caps ever win the Stanley Cup?" ----

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment