Contact Me!

** Email me at: capsdegenerate@gmail.com ** Follow me on Twitter! @capsdegenerate **

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Esa Tikkanen

Whenever the Caps play at the Joe, I inevitably think back to that infamous open net that Esa Tikkanen missed in Game 2 of the 1998 Final.  Like many, I frequently think to myself, "What if that had gone in?".

I also wonder if Esa Tikkanen himself is still haunted by that miss.  Bill Buckner never won a World Series.  Esa Tikkanen has 5 Stanley Cups.  He very well could just laugh off the night he tortured Caps fans.

I was in Hagerstown, MD hanging out with some summer internship co-workers. They were all making fun of me because I was the idiot in the room who cared about hockey and thought the Caps could win.

But, as that miss unfolded and the Wings came back to win Game 2 - I was in disbelief.  Maybe the Caps still would have lost the series, but it would have been a hell of a lot closer with the first 2 games split.

And really, who knows what would have happened had that shot gone in?


No comments:

Post a Comment